Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Healthy Snacks On The Go

Let's face it we all have busy lives.  It is hard to eat well when you are always in the car or whatever else it is that keeps you away from home.  Some people, me included prep like a madwoman so that I always healthy options.  My problem sometimes is keeping things refrigerated.  Do they have those for cars yet? I need one!  Someone invent something quick.  When I clean houses we are either at some one's house or in the car.  I pack things up in my lunch box with three, yes THREE ice packs and by lunchtime my food goes bad.  This makes me angry and then I end up picking up lunch from a gas station and we all know that's not good. So anyway I have been working on keeping healthy snacks around that don't need to be refrigerated, here are some of my favorites...

Truthfully if you look at the nutrition for both turkey and beef they have the same amount of sodium but turkey actually is more calories, fat and carbs. Crazy hah? The only thing is a lot of beef isn't great for you and honestly if I'm going to eat red meat it's going to be a great big rib eye.  For me I only pick this is up when I'm hangry and need some immediate protein.

I know you have all heard the hype about quest bars.  Well let me just tell you it's true.  They are delicious! The cookies and cream are the best.  The problem is they are expensive, about 25 dollars for 12 ouch. I spread them out and treat them like gold. I keep one in my purse for emergencies only....like I'm starving and there is burger king emergency! If you can't afford them there are alternatives like Luna bars and think thin bars.  Some of them are decent and affordable.  I know they aren't the best choices but they are better than any fast food choice you will make right?!

I love edamame, love it but seriously it's hard to chew when you make it fresh.  These take away my salty, crunchy cravings.  A serving is 100 calories and it's just edamame lightly salted, that's it no hidden ingredients.  I find them at Sprout's or King Soopers (Kroger), usually in the snack aisle.  They are always on the top shelf so my short self has to really search but they are worth it and cheap too!!  I usually just buy a big bag and it's 1.50. By the way Sprout's has dark chocolate covered edamame and they are fantastic.....go get you some!

Have you tried this shit yet? It's addicting and so damn delicious.  I am a popcorn freak and will eat it everyday.  I usually portion this out into sandwich bags so I don't eat a whole bag because it's easy to.
Besides these I also carry around the usual almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, bananas, dried fruit and a little dessert...

These things are amazing.  One of my favorite things are nutty bars and this tastes even better!

What are some of your favorite healthy snacks on the go?

3 comments:

  1. I need to be better about carrying snacks with me while on the go. I'm terrible at it and then just end up buying candy or something. I have a popcorn problem too. I end up buying and eating a whole bag within 2 days. Eek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to try boom chicka pop. Or I could just pop my own, I have a popcorn maker and popcorn. LAZY!

    That's it, I'm doing it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may be overkill but I would totally pack a small cooler if I was you and in the car a lot. We are on the go a lot with softball so I have a big cooler in the back of the car that the team uses for waters and gatorades. Then I have my smaller cooler in the backseat that has cut up fruit and string cheese. For dry snacks, I like trail mix. Not all of it is good for you, but I get a good mix at Costco and then portion it out 1/3c in a snack bag. There's a grocery store brand white cheddar rice cake I love too. And I'm a Luna bar lover too. I usually throw one in my purse and eat that right before or after the gym if I go on my lunch break.

    ReplyDelete