Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Life without cell phones

I went to the Santana/Rod Stewart concert last week and broke my phone.  (We will get to the weird of that concert in my next Yolo post)  I was a dancing fool and my *cough* *cough* 500 dollar phone was in my back pocket, slid out and the screen smashed on the concrete.  Ouch!  I had an LG and apparently when you break the screen of those they never work again.  I wish someone had told me that geez.  Anyway I could see that I had a million messages,emails and phone calls but couldn't get in my phone.  My alarm went off and I couldn't get it to stop so it went off every 5 minutes until I just threw it away.

I was without a phone for 16 hours and I thought I was going to die.  No actually I didn't.  I was relieved.  I didn't have to respond to anyone, I didn't check my facebook or instagram 5 million times or pinterest.  I didn't have to make sure I had my phone with me all day long you know...just in case. I didn't keep checking it just in case I didn't hear it. I didn't feel tied to a device.  Then I kept thinking when did I get so ridiculously addicted to this thing?

Then I started remembering back when there weren't cell phones.  What a simple life that was.


We had to get ahold of people with a home phone.  We didn't have Facebook to know what people are up to.  If you wanted to know what someone was doing you would go to their house or call them at home.  You didn't need Facebook to tell you anything.  If you didn't know, you just didn't know. 



I don't know about you but I LOVE text messaging.  Love it.  I absolutely hate talking on the phone so when they came out with texting I was in Heaven.  The problem is it's so lazy and impersonal.  What did we do before? Oh that's right wrote letters or notes.  That was so much more fun don't you think?

From now on I am making a better effort to stay off my phone and live in the moment.  It's so easy to spend hours on it not really paying attention to anything around but I want to live my life rather than watch everyone else's.

What's something you miss about pre-cell phone life??

3 comments:

  1. You threw your phone away? I don't know why that makes me laugh but I guess if you can't open or do anything with it, it is garbage.

    The thing I miss the most is that everyone is so accessible. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it's like if you don't answer a text or call right away, immediately people think you hate them or something bad has happened to you. Something like that when most likely it's just that you are busy or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love texting over talking on the phone and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

    I miss just happening upon cool stuff in your travels to try to find friends at the park, mall, their houses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this post! I'm trying to consciously not always be on my phone too - especially when I'm hanging out with my hubby and teens.

    ReplyDelete