Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Saving Mula$$$

So I have been a thrifty person for some time now.  I LOVE to save money! Love it!  It was really hard at first to go from spending 600 a month on groceries to only 200.  But can you imagine saving 400 a month?? Or to go from your electric bill being 150 to 60??  I have done that and I wish I had calculated the amount I have saved over the years.  Maybe I will do that this year but here are some ways I did it.



*Groceries-This is the easiest way to save money, it just takes a little time and planning.  I know that seems like a lot of work for some people but if you want to save money you will do it.
       -I shop from the weekly ad.  I know that sometimes you will need more than what is on sale but I try to plan meals around the ad.
      -MAKE A LIST AND STICK TO IT.  Seriously I can go shopping with my list and know exactly how much money I will spend at checkout.
     -Use coupons.  If you don't have time for it, then don't.  I don't save as much as I used to with coupons but I figure a couple dollars is better than nothing!  I usually make my list, go through my coupons and use what I have.
     -Meal plan.  Plan a meal for every night and go through your fridge, freezer and pantry to see what you already have.  Most people buy doubles and triples of things and don't even realize it.  Use what you have.
    -Meal Prep.  Once a week I make breakfast (oatmeal, pancakes, and boiled eggs), I also make Rice, Quinoa and pasta.  Once a month I cook a whole chicken, roast and beans in the crock pot.  I split it up and freeze it.  Then I just throw things together for dinner.  It keeps me from eating junk food all the time or eating out if I already have food in the fridge!
     -Make your own....mayo, ketchup, yogurt, peanut butter, applesauce, salad dressing.  Not only is it healthier for you, it's cheaper.

*Gas Bill-I know some of you don't have a gas stove but I do and they are my favorite.  To save on gas I only dry my clothes for half the time then dry them on an indoor clothesline, If I am going to use the oven I look at what I will use the oven for the rest of the week and cook it all at the same time.  I also keep the water heater at medium so that my water isn't too hot and using a lot of gas.

*Electric Bill-I do not keep things plugged in if I am not using them.  It is amazing how much energy your cell phone charger uses when it is plugged in but not being used.  I don't leave the toaster, microwave, coffeemaker, computer, etc...plugged in.
-Lights!  I have a 10 year old that doesn't understand the concept of turning them off so what do I do?  I charge him a quarter every time he  leaves them on. Nothing hurts an almost pre-teen more than his pocketbook.
-Heat-I know some people like the heat high but I do not! I like it low, I sleep better and even breathe better.  I figure if someone is cold put on a sweat shirt.  I live in my sweats and slippers.  Another great thing is cleaning your filter before the cold really starts.  It keeps your furnace working more efficiently.
-Laundry-Use cold water!

*Water Bill- I used to take long showers, why because they feel great...not so great on the pocket book.  A 20 minute shower on average is 50 gallons of water....30 minutes is 75...ponder that for a minute. All I can imagine is gallon jugs....that's ALOT.  We went from 5 people using WAY too much water and my water bill being 180 a month to 3 people and 80 dollars...less than half.  The two that left were taking 20-40 minute showers...ouch.  I am still working on this with laundry and dishes.  I wash as many dishes as possible by hand so I don't have to run the dishwasher so much. 

*Home Decor-This is easy!  Make your own...curtains, pictures, picture frames, furniture etc... Check out my pinterest for a million and one ideas.

*Gifts-This can get ridiculously expensive.  My first thought is always get creative or make your own.  If you don't have time for this at least recycle gift bags and tissue paper.  I literally save ALL of mine.  As far as cards go I usually make my ten year old make a card for people out of construction paper and whatever he can find.  If not I buy the .99 cent ones.  They usually get thrown away so why are you going to buy a 5 dollar card that will just get trashed?  My last suggestion is plan ahead.  If some one's birthday is two months away decide what you want to buy them or make them now.  If you are rushing around trying to find them something the day of the chances are you will pay double.

*Gas-I know this is a hard one. The biggest way I save on gas is planning ahead.  If I have to go to the store I make sure and run every errand I can at the same time.  Another big thing is maintenance.  Make sure those tires are full at all times!

*Books and Movies- I will say it over and over, LIBRARY.  Hello it's free and nothing is better than free!  The library also has free classes and kids events.

*Entertainment-I know that here in Denver the museums have free days all year long.  Again I said FREE.  The crowds aren't much fun but it's worth it.

*Lunch-Let's face it lunch for work, school or even days out are expensive!  Make your own.  I allow my son to eat at school twice a week and make a lunch the other days.  I get creative and make things like corn dog muffins, or even burritos so that he isn't constantly eating sandwiches.  If you are spending a day at the museum pack a lunch and snacks.  Those lunches can get expensive.  I carry snacks in my car at all times for myself and the kids. 

*Budget-Every month I sit down and write all of my bills in a notebook.  I include all activities and anything else I might spend money on.  I add it all up and cross off each bill as it gets paid.  Not only does this keep me from forgetting to pay bills but it shows me exactly how much money I am spending every month.  This gives me a good picture on what I can cut down on.

I am literally always trying to find ways to save money.  It takes a lot of effort and a lot of planning but is completely worth it! If you have any questions or suggestions for other ways please let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking about doing a post like this! I love it. Good tips. :)

    ReplyDelete