Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Homemade Pho

You have never had Pho you say?? But you have heard of it right? It is a delicious Vietnamese soup that is supposed to be healing.  I know many people that go eat it when they are sick and it helps them feel better.  I have only had it at a restaurant once and have craved it ever since!  I checked out pinterest for some homemade ideas and combined a few of them.  It came out tasty and a tiny bit spicy...ok a lot spicy for me because I'm a big old wimp.  I still slurped it up because the flavor was fantastic.  Alright enough talk:

Homemade Pho

3-Whole Anise Stars-You can find these in the spice section
3 inch chunk of Ginger-smashed
2-Garlic Cloves whole-Only use one if you don't want it too spicy
1-Cinnamon Stick
1 tsp Sesame Oil
1/4 jalapeno-leave out if you don't like the spice

Heat the sesame oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the anise, ginger,garlic, cinnamon and jalapeno. Let them cook for just a minute or two until you can smell the ingredients. Take them off the heat.

2 Quarts of Chicken Broth-8 Cups
Green Onions-about a cup chopped
1 Tbsp Sugar-Brown or white

Add the broth, sugar, spices and onions to a soup pot. Let this come to a boil for a quick dinner or let it simmer for awhile for better flavor. When it is done strain out the anise, garlic, cinnamon, ginger and jalapeno. Add a Tbsp of soy sauce and a Tbsp of rice vinegar (optional). Let it come to a boil again and add an ounce of Udon Noodles or asian noodles of your choice. When they are done add a cup of kale or vegetable of your choice.  Feel free to add chicken to this, I add some already cooked shredded chicken. Cut up a lime into wedges, squeeze it into your bowl. Serve up the pho and enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Analisa, this sounds fantastic. I would probably reduce the star anise a bit because I find it very easily becomes too dominant a flavour. You have inspired me to make some pho myself. Hope you are having a good week.

    ReplyDelete