Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

I had some leftover evaporated milk and heavy cream and knew there was no way I was going to end up using it.  I didn't want to throw it away so I brainstormed and realized I could make Macaroni and Cheese!


Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

8oz of pasta (I used GF spirals because that is what I had)
1/4 Cup Flour
4 Tbsp Butter
1/2 can evaporated milk
1/2 pint heavy cream
2 cups cheese (I used Colby Jack)
1/2 Cup Parmesan
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
Milk


 Cook Pasta according to the package, rinse and drain.  In a saucepan melt the butter, whisk in the flour and let it brown slightly.  Slowly add evaporated milk.  The flour will keep soaking it up, when the evaporated milk is gone add the heavy cream.  If you don't have either of these you can use milk.  When the liquid is soaked up add the two cups of cheese.  It will be really thick.  Add Milk a little at a time until you get it as thin as you want.  Add the parmesan, pepper and nutmeg.  Make sure you taste it and add more salt or pepper as needed.  It is very creamy and tasty.  If you use sharp cheddar it would be even better!

And because we are weird, I added smoked sausage and corn on the top.




No comments:

Post a Comment