Monday, November 12, 2012

Crock Pot Salisbury Steak

Salisbury Steak is one of my favorite meals!  I make it at work for thirty people and we always look forward to it.  I decided to make it in the crock pot for dinner tonight and it was a mistake!  Not the food but deciding to do it on a day when I am home.  It was torture having to smell it all day!

I usually make this with hamburger patties.  I cook them halfway and then put them in the crock pot the rest of the time.  I only had cube steak but it worked great!  The key to this salisbury steak is that you have to put everything in order in the crockpot.  I am not sure why but if it changes it doesn't taste as good...maybe it is just me!

Here is what you need to make dinner for two, double and triple if you need to.

2 cube steaks or hamburger patties
1 Cup of Onion-Chopped in big pieces
1 Cup mushrooms (Optional-I don't like them so I left them out)
2 Tbsp Butter
1 Can Diced tomatoes
2 cups of brown gravy-you can use the packets or make your own


I put the cube steaks in the crockpot and turned it on low.  Next I chopped the onion into big pieces.  I do this because I love the flavor of onion but not the texture so the big pieces make it easy to take them out. Put the onion and mushrooms into a sauce pan with the butter on low for a couple minutes.  You will start smelling something fantastic coming from that pan and then you can transfer it onto the cube steaks.  Pour the diced tomatoes over that and the brown gravy over that.  Cook it on low for 4-5 hours. Pretty simple and you can pair it with rice, baked potatoes or mashed potatoes!



And Yes I love using Marcus' plates lol


Here is how I made my brown gravy:

I know it takes more time and honestly it's a pain in the butt but it's delicious and you can make it as salty as you want or don't want.

2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1/4 cup flour-this depends on your gravy
2 cups beef broth or two cups of water and 2 beef bouillion cubes

Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat until warm.  Whisk a tiny bit of flour into the oil at a time.  You have to constantly whisk it until it it really thick.  This is where I slowly add the beef broth.  You have to let the flour soak up the broth a little at a time. Keep adding it until it starts to look like gravy.  When the broth is all in it, bring it to a boil then shut off the heat.  It should thicken up.  Make sure you taste it and add a dash of pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment