Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Peanut Butter Chocolate Granola Bars

A couple of years ago I was perusing the target book aisle and saw a cookbook for The Pioneer Woman. I looked through it, saw all the pictures and read parts of it that cracked me up.  I was sold and when I got it home and started making things from it, there was no disappointment!  Best 24 dollars I ever spent on a cookbook!  I knew nothing about her, hadn't heard of her.  This was before her show, 2nd cookbook or I discovered the world of blogging.  I am a fan and her recipes never ever disappoint me. Anyway I watch her show on the Food Network every Saturday and last Saturday she made chocolate dipped granola bars.  They looked amazing.  I have tried several no bake granola bars and they always fall apart and I end up just eating it like granola.  I wanted some that didn't fall apart and hers looked like they didn't.  The only problem is I love peanut butter in my granola bars so I made my own version.

3 Cups Oats
1/8 Cup of Canola Oil (I used Olive Oil)
2 TB Butter, melted
1/8 tsp salt

Toss these together and toast in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes.

In a Bowl Mix
1/4 cups chopped nuts- your choice
1/4 Cup Rice Cereal- I used Rice Chex
1/4 Cup Wheat Germ- I used Flax Seed, you can also use extra oats if you don't have either of those

In a saucepan mix
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
1/8 Cup Apple Juice
1/4 Cup Peanut Butter
1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips

Bring everything but the Chocolate chips to a boil, then add the chocolate chips until they are melted.  Remove from the fire and add 3 teaspoons of vanilla.  Mix All three together.  Use a pan that is square and deep enough for granola bars, grease it or line it with foil.  Press the oat mixture into it and bake at 325 for 25 minutes.

* Tip for pressing the oat mixture into the pan, use wax paper and press it all down.   This prevents it from all coming off on your hands and actually gets everything pressed down!

Let them cool and then cut them into squares, make sure you use a sharp knife.  Mine are dull and didn't cut them so well but they are edible and that is what counts!  And of course the pioneer woman didn't disappoint once again:)



No comments:

Post a Comment